The Directorate General of Training (DGT) in Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship is the apex organisation for development and coordination at National level for the programmes relating to vocational training including Women's Vocational Training. Industrial Training Institutes are under the administrative and financial control of State Governments or Union Territory Administrations. DGT also operates Vocational Training Schemes in some of the specialized areas through field institutes under its direct control. Development of these programmes at national level, particularly in the area concerning common policies, common standards and procedures, training of instructors and trade testing are the responsibility of the DGT. But, day-to-day administration of Industrial Training Institutes rests with the State Governments/ Union Territories Administrations.
Major functions of the DGT are:
- To frame overall policies, norms and standards for vocational training.
- To diversify, update and expand training facilities in terms of craftsmen and crafts instructor training.
- To organize and conduct specialized training and research at the specially established training Institutes.
- To implement, regulate and increase the scope of training of apprentices under the Apprentices Act, 1961.
- To organize vocational training programmes for women.
- To provide vocational guidance and employment counseling.
- Assist scheduled castes/scheduled tribes and persons with disabilities by enhancing their capabilities for wage employment and self employment.