Subject: Invitation of suggestions from various stakeholders on Draft Recruitment, Training and Career Progression Policy document for Craft Instructors / Trainers of Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs)
From: Jagjit Singh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:05:44 +0530

To

Sh. Sanjay Kumar, Director (Project)

Director General Training,

Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, GoI

Kaushal Bhawan, Karol Bagh, New Delhi.

E mail ID:[email-masked]

Subject:         *Invitation of suggestions from various stakeholders on
Draft Recruitment, Training and Career Progression Policy document for
Craft Instructors / Trainers of Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs)*

            Reference your memo No. DGT-35(4)/CCP-Strive/2018-NPIU dated 3rd
January, 2020 on the subject cited above

                        I have studied the draft of Career Progression
Policy circulated by the DGT on the subject cited above. As a professional,
who is associated with the Vocational Training/Skill Development in the
State of Punjab as Deputy Director and Joint Director for more than 20
years and as an Engineering professional who has worked in Industry and a
PSU( power Station) for more than 10 years, my comments are as under on
specific points:-

1.    Change of Nomenclature of Posts of Craft Instructor and Group
Instructor and:- The nomenclature of post of Craft Instructor is proposed
to be changed to Assistant Training Officer and that of Group Instructor to
Deputy Training officer. No rationale has been given how a mere change of
Nomenclature would result in quality Improvement of training imparted. At
best the name of Craft Instructor may be changed to Trainer and that of
Group Instructor to Training Officer.

2.    Omission of post of Superintendent (Technical):- The post of
Superintendent (technical) has been omitted. While posts of Vice principal
and principals of the level Assistant Director to Joint Director has been
proposed. But what will be strength of the ITI in which the incumbents of
these posts will be posted, has not been elaborated. The post of
Superintendent (Technical) or Head Master is required for smaller ITIs up
to 200 seats.

3.    Level of the post of Vice Principal:- Only one level of the post of
Vice principal is proposed having pay scale of 9300-34800+ GP5400. But ITIs
having range of  capacity of seats like 200 to 400, 400 to 600 and 600 to
1000 require different level of posts of principals and Vice principals.
Thus the posts Principals for ITIs having these capacities are required to
be fixed. For next level, the principal of lower level capacity ITI will
act as Vice Principal. Thus for seats up to 1000, principal can be of the
level of Joint Director, for ITI above 600 seats, it can be of the level of
Deputy Director and for seats  between 200 to 400, it can be of the level
of Assistant Director.

4.    Qualifications of Craft Instructor/Trainer:- All the three types of
qualifications- Degree, Diploma and NTC/NAC- have been proposed for the
entry level post of Craft Instructor. This is not a good proposal. As the
content of syllabus for NCVT Trades contain, 70-75% practicals, the Degree
holders never performed more than 25 % of practicals and also seldom worked
with hands, particularly in Private Engineering colleges, so proposing
degree Qualification, is not a practical suggestion. The purpose of
practical training would not be served by recruiting Degree holders. Rather
all Degree holders should be barred to apply for the post of Craft
instructors. Only Diploma plus CITS with 2 years Practical experience in
Industry/service Sector or NTC/NAC plus CITS with 3 years practical
experience in Industry or Service Sector should be recruited.

5.    Director recruitment:- The proposal to go for 50% director
recruitments at the level of Training Officer/Vice principal and
principal/Assistant Director is not practical one. it will mar the
promotion avenues for Craft Instructors. There should be direct
recruitments of Craft Instructors and 505 of Assistant Director/principals
may be recruited by direct recruitments. Rest of the posts be filled by
promotion.

6.    Fixing number of seats for number of posts of Additional Director,
Joint Director, Deputy Director and Assistant Director at HQ:- Even though
the posts of Additional Director, Joint Director, Deputy Director and
Assistant Director have been mentioned for HQ, but against how many seats
in the state and how many of such posts should be there for management and
monitoring of the Vocational Training, the document is silent on this
aspect. As was there in the Training Manual up to 2001, the Capacity of the
State should be guiding force for number of posts. It is suggested as
under:-

a.    Additional Director (Interchangeable with post of Principal Director
ITOT)- For first 20000 training seats- 1 post. For every additional 10,000
seats- 1 post.

b.    Joint Director- For first 10000 training seats-1 post. For every
additional 7500 seats-1 post.

c.    Deputy Director (Interchangeable with Principal of Class-I ITIs
having seating capacity more than 600 seats)- For first 7500 training
seats-1 post, for every additional 5000 seats-1 post.

d.    Assistant Director (Interchangeable with Principal of Class-II ITIs
having seating capacity between 400-600 seats)- For first 5000 training
seats-1 post. For every additional 4000 seats-1 post.

e.    Principal Group-B:- This post may be meant for the ITIs having
seating capacity between 200 to 400 seats with pay scale of 9300-34800+
GP5400.

f.     Superintendent (Technical)/Head Master:- This post may be meant for
the ITIs having seating capacity up to 200 seats with pay scale of
9300-34800+ GP 5000.

7.    Rest of the proposals on Incentivization to States, recruitment,
Induction Program and mandatory CITS, CPD of Craft Instructors, improvement
of working conditions of trainers and Action in case of
non-compliance/violation of NCVT guidelines are acceptable to almost every
stakeholders.

8.    Staff Structure for Apprenticeship Scheme:- No staff structure has
been proposed for implementation of the Apprenticeship Scheme in the
Template. Per Unit (Candidate passed) cost for CTs trades in Punjab is of
the order of Rs. 1 lakh per year. If we calculate Per Unit (Candidate
placed) cost of CTS trades, it is of the order of 2 lakhs per annum.
Whereas under ATS,  per unit cost at present is of the order of Rs. 6500.
At present about 2200 seats are filled in ATS in Punjab. The target fixed
for Punjab is 1,00,000 per year. This target cannot be met with the present
structure of staff when the CTS is given additional responsibility to
implement the ATS. A separate Wing is required to be set up, which cost up
to Rs. 20 Cr to 30 Cr. The proposal is as under:-

a.    Additional State Apprenticeship Advisor- 1 for the ATS in the State.
He/She will be over all incharge of ATS Wing, with 10 technical staff
(GIs/Instructors) and 10 ministerial staff. Group-D services will be
outsourced.

b.    Joint State Apprenticeship Advisor- 1 post for first 50,000 seats.
For every additional 50,000 seats 1 post.

c.    Deputy State Apprenticeship Advisor-1 post for every 30,000 seats. 1
post for every additional 25,000 seats.

d.    Assistant State Apprenticeship Advisor-1 post for first 20,000 seats.
1 post for every additional 15,000 seats.

Total recurring cost of ATS wing will be of the order of Rs.

e.    Assistant Apprenticeship Advisor- 1 post for every District covering
the entire Industry, Govt. offices, PSUs and Boards and Corporations
offices located in the District. Every District level Assistant
Apprenticeship Advisor will also be provided the Technical (one GI per 2000
seats and Ministerial Staff- one Data Entry operator, one UDC and one LDC
per District up to first 5000 seats, for every additional 5000 seats the
staff will be 2 times) for implementing the Apprentices Act 1961 as per the
Rules and guidelines of DGT. They will also monitor/supervise the working
of Basic Training centres, Govt or private, set up as per the guidelines of
DGT.

9.      The above staff structure for ATS may cost the State about Rs. 10
Cr. to 15 Cr per year and for infrastructure another Rs. 10 Crores may be
needed. But this much staff and infra is needed to increase the number of
seats located, filled and candidates trained under ATS. If the recurring
cost of ATS is Rs. 15 cr per year even then the per unit cost (candidate
passed taking 70% pass percentage and total seats located and filled as 1
lakh) will be around Rs. 1500 per year, which much less than Rs. 1 lakh
presently being spent on one seat (candidate passed) of the CTS trades. So
from the point of view of efficiency and economy the investment on staff
(recurring) and infra (Capital) for increasing the outreach of ATS and
ensuring 20 fold increase in its output is a worthwhile proposition.

With above suggestions, I hope that the management structure of the
Directorates of the States and that of ITIs will deliver desired results in
the field of Vocational Training (CTS and ATS and Skill development.

            Any further elaboration and details if required, will also be
provided

Dated:- 20.1.2020

Jagjit Singh

Joint Director(IT)

Dept. of Technical Education

and Industrial Training, Punjab.
Mobile-9915021551